Faithful Blogger

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Prayerful Teaching with Gentle Words



A gentle answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger.

                                    Proverbs 15:1  (NIV)

Prayer

Harsh, rough, haughty, menacing, spiteful—I pray my students never associate these words with me.  Gentle, kind, tender, fair—these are the attributes I hope emanate from me to every student in my classroom and every adult in my school.  Students may not remember the content or skills I taught them, but they will always remember either the pain or the joy my actions brought them.  I have no regrets for the gentle words I have spoken or the gentleness my actions communicated to my students.  I have regrets only for the harsh words I have spoken, the callousness of character they conveyed, and the times I failed to give comfort with gentle words.  I pray, Lord, that my words be guided by the example of your love for your children and that my words be only words of comfort and gentleness. 


The Actions of Prayerful Teaching

  • Plan ahead.  Pushing buttons is a skill easily mastered by some children.  It is natural to become angry and upset when it is your buttons being pressed by a child in your classroom who has a built in audience of peers.  Keep in mind Proverbs 15:1.  If you respond with harsh and angry words, you stir up more anger. Children tend to practice the behaviors that get the response they desire from the adult.  If shouting angry words worked, teaching would be a lot easier.  As you get to know your students, plan on what you are going to do ahead of time to avert an ugly situation.   Remember:  It takes two to argue.
  • Model.  When a student has an outburst of angry words, always react with gentle words and in a calm and business-like manner.  Never engage in a power struggle.  Though difficult, now is the time to model the behavior expected of all of your students.  
  • Avoid negative, bossy words whenever possible.  Instead of, “You better pick up the paper on the floor from your art project before it is too late,” say, “I lost track of time just like you.  Let’s all work together to clean up the room so we can….”   Instead of telling students what not to do, state in a positive manner what it is they should do.  Instead of, “Do not sharpen your pencils during class,” say, “Sharpen pencils before class so as to allow class to run smoothly.”  Note proper behavior when it is occurring.  “I notice how we think better without the grinding noise of the pencil sharpener interrupting our thoughts.”
  • Restate the positive.  If a student is poking or refusing to do an assignment in class, remind the student of something well done in the recent past and connect it to the present. Sometimes this requires creative thinking!  But keep in mind you cannot order or demand or issue consequences that cannot be carried through.
  • Displaying kindness is centering on the child, not on the perceived shortcomings of the parent.  Every teacher has students whose home refrigerators have no food, who are sent to school without breakfast, or who sit in the cafeteria with nothing to eat.  Think what it would be like for you to be in a state of hunger.  Would you be at your best, ready to teach and take on the day with all of its challenges?  Is it possible to keep a stash of wholesome breakfast bars to share with students?  It is understandable that one may find this a financial impossibility, especially if teaching impoverished children, but can you find alternative ways to fund the needed food?

Challenge of the Week

Select a child who likes to “push your buttons.”  Spend two minutes each day for ten straight days conversing with this student one-on-one.  Get to know what interests this student, what he likes about school as well as what he does not like about school.  Try to uncover an aspect of classroom life for which he could take responsibility.  Then ask him for his help in that particular area.   Remember to praise him and thank him for his help.


Blessings and Prayerful Teaching,


Elizabeth A. Wink

No comments:

Post a Comment