Faithful Blogger

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Prayerful Teaching when Working with Adults

Hope in the Lord
    
and keep his way.
He will exalt you to inherit the land;
                   Psalm 37:34 (NIV)


Prayer

Sometimes the biggest challenges I face are not with my students, but with the other adults in my building.  It is so easy for me to judge them and just wish they would just go away.  I feel they are shirking their responsibilities to the children, other faculty members, and the mission of the school.  I wish not to judge them, but this is difficult, especially when I put in so many extra hours beyond the face-to-face time I spend with my students.  I do not know what they are experiencing in their lives or what is influencing their attitudes.  I need to be compassionate and to love them as much as you love me.  Help me Lord to have hope, to try to see within them the face of Jesus, and to turn my frustration into actions of love, gentleness, and kindness.

The Actions of Prayerful Teaching


  • Smile and greet everyone with a cheery “hello.”  If someone does not reply, do not let that stop you.  Just keep repeating the process.   If time allows, ask a non-threatening question such as, “How was your weekend?”  Then be sure to respond to the answer.  “I am glad you had a great weekend,” or “I am sorry you had no time for yourself.”  You may be the only adult who attempts to bring a smile to this person or perhaps even acknowledge her in a positive manner.

  • Praise someone without sounding like a snoop, meddler, or intruder.  “When I passed by your classroom this morning before the students arrived, the door was open and I could not help but see the poster of ….  Your students must really love it.”  Many times an unhappy person is an insecure person so it is important that this person know that you did not observe actual teaching.

  • Share what you have with others, but do it in a humble and nonthreatening manner.  Instead of saying, “I thought you might like this graphic organizer for your students,” say, “I created this graphic organizer for my students.  You can have this copy, but I really would like your advice on improving it, or how to introduce it to my students.   You may be surprised with what you learn. 

  • Listen intently to what others say.  Follow the simple listening techniques you use with your students such as eye contact and uncrossing arms and legs.  Listening to a person does not mean you have to agree with the person.  Kindly remark, “I have not had that experience with….”   If gossiping ensues it is better to say, “I am uncomfortable discussing ….” and change the subject.

Challenge of the Week

 Select at least one staff member (teacher, administrator, or support person) and make a point to greet that person with a smile and appropriate words each time you meet.  This should be a person you normally do not greet in such a manner.

 

God Bless and Prayerful Teaching,


Elizabeth A. Wink

No comments:

Post a Comment