Faithful Blogger

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Prayerful Teaching is Turning Your Burdens over to the Lord.


Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
                                    Matthew 11:28 (NIV)

The new school year has just begun and already I feel overburdened.  It seems all my good intentions have gone astray.  I spent so many summer hours planning lessons and getting my classroom ready, but now I am faced with the reality of a teacher’s life.  Lord, as I turn my burdens over to you, give me a strong and agile spirit to understand and accommodate the needs of my students.  Let me do so with empathy and a joyfulness that praises your name.  And at the end of the day, when I am most weary and burdened, let me recall at least one smile on the face of one student, one successful teaching moment, and one way you, Lord, refreshed my soul. 

Actions of Prayerful Teaching

Write down the reasons why you became a teacher.  Upon reflection you will discover that you not only answered the call to teach, but embrace your calling.  Every day has a purpose.  Every day allows you to make a positive difference in a child’s life.  Every day forces you to stretch and grow in your love for God and His children.

Schedule at least 15 - 30 minutes of “me time” a day.  This can be very difficult.  If left to chance it will not happen.  It is easier if the “me time” is scheduled for the same time each day as that way it becomes a habit.

Hang a quote.  Mandatory announcements and bulletins, student artifacts, and colorful posters fill the walls of your classroom.  Just like “me time,” you need “me space.”  Dedicate a space, even a small space where you can hang a “just for me” quote that inspires you, calms you, and motivates you.  It should be in a spot that is highly visible to you as you move about the classroom.  Change the quote whenever you feel like it.

Smile, especially when you do not feel like smiling.  When lessons do not go as planned, when a difficult child throws yet another tantrum, when you feel most useless, weary, and burdened, smile.  A smile gives one inner peace.  It relaxes you and lowers stress and anxiety.  It brightens one’s mood.  It is contagious.  A smile says, “It is all right.  God will get me through this.”

Thank God for the challenges of teaching.  Not everyone is called to be a teacher.   Not everyone could withstand the challenges and frustrations a teacher must face before the feelings of joy and accomplishment slide in to take their place.  God has called you to the challenges of teaching because He trusts you with them.  God has called you to the challenges of teaching because they teach you to rely on Him.  God has called you to the challenges of teaching to burn in your heart the realization that turning over problems to God is better than solving them on your own.  God has called you to the challenges of teaching because they grow your soul and allow you to gain the wisdom and strength to grow the souls of those whose lives you daily touch. 

Challenge of the Week

Each day this week as you lock your classroom door at the end of the day, pause and recall one successful teaching moment or one child whose day was brightened because of you.  Maybe it was just a smile you gifted to a child, but maybe it was the only smile that child received all day.

God Bless and Prayerful Teaching,

Elizabeth A. Wink

No comments:

Post a Comment