Faithful Blogger

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Prayerful Teaching is Overcoming Doubt


Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
                                                Matthew  14:31 (NIV)

Prayer and Meditation

Just like Peter, I am entertaining doubts---doubts about my capabilities to reach my students, doubts about my ability to manage a classroom, even doubts about my calling as a teacher.  I feel I lack the wisdom and insights of my colleagues.  I am ensnarled in doubt and disillusionment.  Just as you lifted up Peter, set him on his feet, and walked with him, I know you will rescue me from my doubts and uncertainties. 

The Actions of Prayerful Teaching

  •   Accept the fact that you will experience doubt.  Remind yourself teaching is challenging and that doubt, especially self-doubt, is a common human experience.  Stay away from the grumpy grumblers.  Hang out with those who encourage you and affirm the calling of Teacher. This cannot be restated too often.

  • Start or continue your 2015-16 school year file and stuff it with evidence of positive experiences e.g. notes and cards received from students and parents and photos of student work.   Take notes at parent conferences.  Write down the positive comments you receive.

  • Mingle doubt with reflection.  Instead of focusing on you as the single cause of the problem and asking,  “Why can’t I…?” or “Why didn’t I…?” or “How could I have…?”  focus on a solution to the quandary that seated the doubt in your mind.  Ask instead, “What is causing…?” or “What strategy could be employed to…?

  • Build a support team even if it is a one person support team.  This often is a teacher whom you can trust and who can be your unofficial mentor.  Express your doubts and concerns to this person.  Do not just take your doubts and complaints to this person, but ask for advice and help seeking solutions to problems.  On the other hand, seek to mentor other teachers who may have just received their calling.  Never doubt your ability or worthiness to mentor.  If one seeks to mentor and be mentored, the wisdom you gain will be doubled,   


  • Treat yourself with patience, dignity, and respect.


      Challenge of the Week

As you close your classroom door for the day, continue or begin the important practice of thanking God for calling you to another day of teaching His children.  Do not take your keys out of the door, or move down the hallway until you have recalled at least one positive event that occurred during your teaching day.  Upon recalling that event, recognize and acknowledge it as one of many blessings God bestowed upon you that day. 


God Bless and Prayerful Teaching,


Elizabeth A. Wink
prayerfulteaching@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment