Faithful Blogger

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Prayerful Teaching is Reaching Forward

Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.


                                             Philippians 3:12-14 (NKJV)


Prayer and Meditation

There are only so many more weeks remaining in the school year.  I can hardly believe it.  It has gone by so rapidly.  There is much my students have yet to learn.  At times I feel I have failed in my duty to properly prepare them for the next grade, for the next set of standards, or for the demands, dangers, and temptations of a world I did not have to face at their age.  I feel urgency and a duty to accomplish more and accomplish it faster and more efficient before time runs out.  These two women went to the tomb out of duty and devotion, not to receive, but to give. They understood the call of discipleship.  As the school year comes to a close, let me continue to embrace my calling and duty as a teacher of God’s children in the best manner I know how. 

The Actions of Prayerful Teaching

  • Concentrate on the progress your students have made over the year.  Too often teachers only think of how they could have improved instruction and student engagement, but it is just as important to reflect on what went well.

  • Instead of feeling overwhelmed by everything that needs yet to be accomplished, set realistic goals on what can be achieved in the time left in the school year and how those goals can be achieved.  Hoping to accomplish everything often leads to accomplishing nothing.

  • Plan an End of the Memory Book activity.  Keep it fun and upbeat. This is an easy way to get student feedback and prepare for next year.  It also allows students to reflect and reminisce.  Include open ended questions such, “The best thing I learned this year was….”  “The favorite book I read all year was….”  Lists are also a valuable reflection tool.  Students can list what they will miss most after they leave your class.  This can be as simple or as extensive as you wish to make it.  You may even wish to include suggestions for standards based learning activities that students can enjoy over the summer.

  • Make copies of student work to use as sample guides for next year.  Samples should range from those at the bottom of the scale to those at the top.   In future years students can evaluate these artifacts to better understand expectations.

  • This is the perfect time to experiment with new techniques, procedures, and technology.  Do a little mini action research.  If your idea bombs, you will not have to live with it very long.  You even have enough time to modify your “experiment” and try it out again.  Did you always want to try a classroom blog, but were afraid of where it would lead or how you would manage it?  Have you thought about making Twitter a part of your professional life?  Have you ever tried videotaping your teaching for self-reflection?  What about that graphic organizer you never got around to using?   Remember how eager and excited you were after that inservice, but never got around to giving it life in your classroom?  Now is the time.





Challenge of the Week:

Relax.  Be kind to yourself.  You never gave up!  Teaching is the only profession that allows a fresh start each year. 


God Bless and Prayerful Teaching,

Elizabeth A. Wink

No comments:

Post a Comment