Faithful Blogger

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Prayerful Teaching Makes Room for Each Child

And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn
Luke 2:7 (NKJV)

Prayer and Meditation

Though there was no room at the inn for the Baby Jesus, I will make room for each child in my classroom.  It is not good enough just to stable a child at a desk or table.  I will offer warmth and comfort, especially to those who so easily “blend in” or become “invisible” to me.  Because God’s love dwells in me and allows me to see His love in all children, I can make room for each child in my classroom.


The Actions of Prayerful Teaching

  • Modify and/or tier assignments.  This takes more effort at first, but the payoff is great.  It provides room at the inn for everyone.
  • Teach individual responsibility.  At the end of the day, give students an exit card on which they can record one or two successes of the day.  As they leave the classroom, they can hand this to the teacher.  Sample successes might include, “I worked without disturbing others,” “I asked for help when I needed it,” or “I followed my self-improvement plan.”
  • Telling students to “look back over the chapter and find the answer” will never suffice for all students and is the same as refusing some of them room at the inn.  They may need this skill taught and modeled a number of times.
  •  “Pay attention” is a meaningless and impossible command.   Students either do not hear it or are in the habit of ignoring it.  Replace this command by making room for something more meaningful.  Is it time for a change of pace such as a movement from the auditory style of learning to the kinesthetic style of learning?  Do students need to set achievable short term goals to see immediate success?  It is time to introduce a graphic organizer or other form of review?
  • Covering curriculum is useless.  Covering the manager with straw does little to upgrade it to a room at the inn.  Teaching needs to be reflected in what the students have learned, not in the curriculum that was "covered."

 Challenge of the Week

Select a student for whom there has been little or no room in your classroom.  Determine the reason for this situation.  Devise an action plan to give this child warmth, comfort and a special room in your classroom.




Elizabeth A. Wink

No comments:

Post a Comment